Type of Funding
The World Summit Awards (WSA) are inviting nominations of the world’s best local digital innovations with impact on society, for the 2019 WSA. Candidates have to be nominated by a WSA National Expert as the best national digital application in 1 of the following 8 categories:
- Government and Citizen Engagement
- Health and Well being
- Learning and Education
- Environment and Green Energy
- Culture and Tourism
- Smart Settlements and Urbanization
- Business and Commerce
- Inclusion and Empowerment
Each country can only nominate 1 project/solution per category. Nominations to the WSA Global are possible through national contests and national expert panel selection.
Within the WSA, there is also a separate call for nominations of young innovators who have developed digital applications tackling the UN SDGs, for the WSA Young Innovators Award 2019. Together with the WSA winners of each year, they are honored as outstanding digital innovators with social impact.
The WSA Winners will be presented and awarded at the WSA Global Congress 2020 in the Spring of 2020. The WSA is a non-monetary award and winners benefit not from a one-time financial reward, but rather from a lifelong partnership and integration.
Winners of the WSA will benefit from:
- An invitation to the WSA World Congress 2020 in Vienna, Austria, where there will be pitching seminars; 5 minute pitch session; specially crafted workshops; invitation to the prestigious award ceremony and Gala night; board and lodging for the Congress will be covered; and personal exchange with speakers, jurors and international guests.
- Integration into a network of internationally recognized digital content developers
- Access to the WSA community of global experts and industry leaders in over 180 countries
- Interaction with world-renowned sponsors and partners of the WSA community
- Workshops specially tailored for the winners needs
- A videoclip highlighting the winners’ projects
- Special placement on WSA website, youtube channel and social media promotion and
- Long-term coverage within WSA editorial channels.
Nominees will receive the following benefits:
- More coverage for their products as WSA will provides nominee with press templates to help them to gain the attention of national media with support of the WSA national experts
- World Summit Award nominee seal to use on websites, social media channels and publications
- Opportunity to receive feedback from the jurors.
- Improved outreach to be nominated as the best in the respective country in the 8 categories.
WSA: Eligible applicants are individuals, companies and organisations from all UN and UNESCO member states. Only digital applications with a strong impact on society are eligible for entry. They can be mobile applications, sms based products, webpages, databases, kiosk installations, wearables, IoT etc. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
The projects must be not more than 2 years old. Ideas, drafts, demonstrations and concepts are ineligible; all submitted projects must be market ready or already on the market. The digital applications must have a strong impact on society in 1 of the aforesaid 8 WSA categories.
Young Innovators Award: Eligible applicants are youths below the age of 26 from UN and UNESCO member states, who have developed digital solutions and applications for any of the UN SDGs. They can be start-ups, social entrepreneurs, NGOs, students or individuals and they can also enter as student groups or project teams. However, at least 1 of the founding members and the majority of the team must be under the age of 26. Their projects should deliver content-rich digital solutions to the users, including individuals, businesses and organisations and the projects must have a strong digital component. They have to be market ready or already launched on the market; ideas or concepts are ineligible.
Submissions for the WSA Young Innovators can contain all mobile and web-based projects, such as: apps, web pages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, SMS based products, games and interactive productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with. All submissions have to be launched products. Drafts, ideas or unfinished projects are ineligible.
Applications are to be done online by 31 July 2019; however, every country may have its own deadline for the call.