30 August 2019, 28 October 2019, 30 December 2019
Type of Funding
The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) of the United Nations is recruiting the following Interns:
- Interns – Human Resources, in Geneva and New York;
- Intern – Humanitarian Affairs, in New York;
- Intern – Public Information, in New York;
- Intern – Humanitarian Affairs, Multiple openings, in Geneva;
- Intern – Human Resources in Geneva; and
- Intern – Information Management, in Geneva.
The internship is unpaid and full-time. Interns work 5 days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned. All costs associated to the internship are to be borne by the intern, specifically: travel, visas, accommodation/ living expenses and medical insurance for the entire duration of the internship.
Applicants must be enrolled in the final year of a Bachelors degree programme, or in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher, or have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a 1 year period of graduation.
They must be computer literate in standard software applications and have an interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter. They have to be able to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience. English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in spoken and written English is required for the internship. However, for the Public Information internship, knowledge of either English or French, (both oral and written) is required, with knowledge of the other being desirable.
Knowledge of an additional official UN language is an asset, namely, Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish.
See the Official Website for eligibility requirements specific to each internship position.
Applications are to be done online by:
- 29 June 2019 – Interns – Human Resources, in Geneva and New York;
- 28 October 2019 – Intern – Humanitarian Affairs, in New York;
- 5 August 2019 – Intern – Public Information, in New York;
- 19 July 2019 – Intern – Humanitarian Affairs, Multiple openings, in Geneva;
- 20 December 2019 – Intern – Human Resources in Geneva; and
- 30 August 2019 – Intern – Information Management, in Geneva.