Type of Funding
The Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG) is inviting applications from social entrepreneurs for the 2019 GLG Social Impact Fellowship, a platform for professional learning where top professionals and thought leaders are paired with Fellows who are keen to solve challenges facing their social sector organizations, at no cost. Throughout the 2-year Fellowship, visionary and innovative nonprofit and social enterprise leaders receive tailored learning from experts across GLG’s membership of more than 650,000 former C-suite executives, academics, sciences, policy specialists, former public sector leaders, and other top professionals and thought leaders around the world, and with each other.
GLG will work closely with Fellows and their teams to identify pressing organizational challenges and set learning objectives to help resolve them over the course of their Fellowship.
The GLG Social Impact Fellowship delivers 2 years of no-cost access to GLG’s pioneering platform to social sector leaders tackling complex and pressing social challenges around the world.
Fellows will spend 1 to 4 hours per week benefiting from the following commitments:
- Annual Fellow Convening at GLG – 3-day convening during which Fellows take part in strategic planning exercises, curated one-on-one meetings, and relevant workshops. The convening is mandatory and will take place on 22 to 24 2019 in New York City.
- Usage – Fellows use the GLG platform as an iterative process. They interact with GLG Client Solutions professionals scoping needs, conducting interviews with GLG experts, and solving strategic questions.
- Virtual events – GLG offers thousands of webinars and teleconferences to clients around the world. Fellow organizations can dial into these opportunities. In addition, GLG Social Impact hosts periodic virtual events, tailored to the learning needs of the Fellows.
- Engagements at GLG offices – GLG Fellows will occasionally be invited to speak in GLG’s offices around the world New York, Austin, San Francisco, London, Dublin, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Mumbai) so that GLGers have the opportunity to learn from and interact with Fellows.
- Team Participation & Access – Although the annual convening is for Fellows, GLG will partner closely with Fellows’ teams and board members. These key decision makers receive unlimited access to GLG’s Membership and Client Solutions professionals.
Applicants must be Founders, Executive Directors, and / or CEOs of non-profits or social enterprises, or mission-driven for-profits or a hybrid structure. Applicants must be individuals who are curious, committed, passionate, and tireless, with a strong track record and clear organizational vision, and must be able to articulate high priority use cases for GLG. Applicants must be committed to leading through the Fellowship and are relentlessly focused on impact, excited about learning, and willing to receive feedback. Fellows must also understand GLG’s value, and be open to GLG and GLG’s Council Members as thought partners.
The applying organisation should be at an inflection point and pursuing scale that has been in operation 3 to 7 years, with at least 5 full-time staff. The organization should be past the early development stage, with leadership ready to pursue ambitious growth. They have proven the concept of their impact and have implemented programs at initial sites. During the 2-year fellowship, participating organizations will be scaling significantly and seeking expertise to build mature operations and informed strategy. Typically, enterprise operating budgets have been under US$500,000/year. There must be established leadership supporting key strategic planning and execution organisation.
The following are not eligible:
- Individuals, scholarships or endowments
- Accelerators and grantmakers
- Political parties
- Sectarian entities (religious, political or ideological in nature) and
- Replication of national or international programs
Applications are to be done online by 1 July 2019.