Type of Funding
The World Summit Awards (WSA) are inviting nominations of the world’s best digital innovation with impact on society, for the 2018 WSA. To apply in the WSA Global category, the applicants have to be nominated by WSA National Experts as best national digital application in 1 of the following 8 categories:
- Government and Citizen Engagement
- Health and Well being
- Learning and Education
- Environment and Green Energy
- Culture and Tourism
- Smart Settlements and Urbanization
- Business and Commerce
- Inclusion and Empowerment
Each country can only nominate 1 project/solution per category. Nominations to the WSA Global are possible through national contests and national expert panel selection.
Within the WSA, there is also a separate call for nominations of young innovators who have developed digital applications tackling the UN SDGs, for the WSA Young Innovators Award 2018. Together with the WSA winners of each year, they are honored as outstanding digital innovation with social impact.
The WSA Winners will be presented and awarded at the WSA Global Congress 2019 in the Spring of 2019. The WSA is a non-monetary award and winners benefit not from a one-time financial reward, but rather from a lifelong partnership and integration.
Winners of the WSA will benefit from:
- An invitation to the WSA World Congress, where there will be pitching seminars
- A 5 minute pitch session in front of an international audience during the Congress
- A program of especially crafted workshops for the winners
- Invitation to the award ceremony and Gala night
- Board and lodging for the duration of the Congress
- Personal exchange with speakers, jurors and international guests
- Integration into a network of internationally recognized digital content developers
- Access to the WSA community of global experts and industry leaders in over 180 countries
- Interaction with world-renowned sponsors and partners of the WSA community
- Workshops specially tailored for the winners needs
- A videoclip highlighting the winners’ projects
- Special placement on WSA website, youtube channel and social media promotion and
- Long-term coverage within WSA editorial channels.
WSA: Eligible applicants are individuals, companies and organisations from all UN and UNESCO member states. Only digital applications with a strong impact on society are eligible for entry. They can be mobile applications, sms based products, webpages, databases, kiosk installations, wearables, IoT etc. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
The projects must be not more than 2 years old. Ideas, drafts, demonstrations and concepts are ineligible; all submitted projects must be market ready or already on the market. The digital applications must have a strong impact on society in 1 of the aforesaid 8 WSA categories.
Young Innovators Award: Eligible applicants are youths below the age of 30 from UN and UNESCO member states, offering digital solutions to any of the UN SDGs. They can be start-ups, social entrepreneurs, NGOs, students or individuals and they can also enter as student groups or project teams. However, at least 1 of the founding members and the majority of the team must be under the age of 30. Their projects should deliver content-rich digital solutions to the users, including individuals, businesses and organisations and the projects must have a strong digital component. They have to be market ready or already launched on the market; ideas or concepts are ineligible.
Submissions for the WSA Young Innovators can contain all mobile and web-based projects, such as: apps, web pages, applications for wearables, kiosk installations, SMS based products, games and interactive productions. There is no limitation regarding the platforms or channels the projects work with.
Applications are to be done online by 31 August 2018.