Varying deadlines, ranging from 12 March 2018 to 4 September 2018
Type of Funding
The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP) currently has a number of internship positions available in the following divisions of UN ESCAP:
- Strategic Publications, Communications and Advocacy
- Division of Administration
- Energy Division
- Environment and Development Division
- Information and Communications Technology and Disaster Risk Reduction Division
- Macroeconomics Policy and Financing for Development Division
- Social Development Division
- ESCAP Subregional Office for East and North-East Asia
- ESCAP Subregional Office for North and Central Asia
- ESCAP Subregional Office for the Pacific
- Asian and Pacific Training Centre for Information and Communication Technology for Development
- Centre for the Alleviation of Poverty through Sustainable Agriculture, and
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
The positions are available in UN ESCAP’s offices in Bangkok (Thailand), Beijing (China), Incheon (Republic of Korea), Suva (Fiji) and Almaty (Kazakhstan). Most of the internships are based in Bangkok. The UN ESCAP invites students enrolled in graduate school/PhD programmes, students enrolled in the final year of a first university degree and recent graduates to apply for these internships.
The internship period ranges from 2 to 6 months, and interns work full-time, under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned. The programme will expose the intern to the day-to-day work, the special missions of ESCAP and multinational work environment of the UN organization, and promote a better understanding of international problems.
Interns are not remunerated. All expenses connected with the internship, such as travel costs, travel arrangements, living accommodation, visas, are the responsibility of the intern or the sponsoring institution. The United Nations will not accept any responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness incurred during an internship and the intern, therefore, should have a health insurance coverage.
Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) or enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelors level or equivalent), or are recent university graduates (within 1 year of graduation). If selected, interns must commence the internship within a 1 year period of graduation. Please see the Official Website for specific eligibility requirements for each position.
Interns should not expect employment at the end of the internship and cannot apply for a regular position at the Professional or higher level with the United Nations during the period of the internship and for 6 months after.
Applications are to be done online by the deadlines for the various internship opportunities published on the Official Website. The deadlines for the currently available internships are: 12 Mar 2018, 19 Mar 2018, 31 Mar 2018, 30 Apr 2018, 10 May 2018, 14 May 2018, 16 May 2018, 11 Jul 2018, 19 Jul 2018, 25 Jul 2018, 31 Jul 2018, 5 Aug 2018, 7 Aug 2018, 8 Aug 2018, 15 Aug 2018, 27 Aug 2018, 31 Aug 2018 and 4 Sep 2018.