Type of Funding
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation invites applications from young African professionals for the 2019 Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships, which is a leadership development programme designed to mentor future African leaders. There are 3 paid Fellowships available in 2019:
- At the headquarters of the African Development Bank (AfDB) in Abidjan, Côte D’Ivoire.
- At the International Trade Centre (ITC) in Geneva, Switzerland, where fellows will be stationed for 1 year commencing May 2019; and
- At the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The 1-year Fellowships aim to enable young African professionals to develop leadership capacity in a large institution and have better understanding of Africa’s socio-economic challenges.
The Mo Ibrahim Foundation works to:
- Stimulate debate on good governance;
- Provide criteria by which citizens and governments can measure progress;
- Recognize achievement in African leadership and provide a practical way in which leaders can build positive legacies on the continent when they have left office; and
- Support aspiring leaders for the African continent.
Fellows will be paid an annual stipend of US$100,000.
Applicants must be nationals of African countries, with 7 to 10 years of relevant work experience, who are under the age of 40, or for women with children, under the age of 45. They need to be holders of a Masters degree in a relevant discipline. Applicants for the AfDB fellowship must hold a minimum of a Masters degree in economics, engineering, social sciences, international development, business administration, finance, banking or any discipline relevant to the Bank’s business. Applicants for the ITC fellowship must have a Masters degree in economics, business, international development, international relations or related area. Applicants for the UNECA fellowship ellow must hold a Masters Degree in economics, social sciences, international development, business administration, law, finance, engineering, or any discipline relevant to the work of UNECA.
For other specific eligibility requirements, please refer to the Official Website for each of the 3 Ibrahim Leadership Fellowships.
Applications are to be done online by 15 October 2018.