Type of Funding
The Coady International Institute at St. Francis Xavier University invites those who wish to participate in its Community-Based Microfinance for Financial Inclusion Programs that will be held at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia during 5 to 16 November 2018, or at Hyderabad City, Telangna State, India from 3 to 15 December 2018, to apply for scholarships under the MasterCard Foundation Microfinance Scholars Program.
Participants under this training program will get to:
- Understand the financial behaviour of low-income population groups and learn the principles of designing financial literacy components as well as design appropriate financial products;
- Obtain an in-depth understanding of different community-based microfinance models such as village savings and loan associations (or savings groups), self-help groups, SACCOs, and credit unions;
- Explore real-world examples of establishing multi-tier institutions and networks, building linkages with banks and other financial institutions, use of mobile banking, and opportunities and challenges of structuring value-chain oriented finance products in community-based models and agriculture coops;
- Learn about national regulatory policies and supervision structures for community-based microfinance models; and
- Visit successful community-based microfinance institutions and interact and learn from leading sector practitioners and peers; and
- Understand and analyse livelihoods and value chain analysis and financing.
Applicants for the course should be mid-to-senior-level practitioners from NGOs and financial cooperatives engaged in community-based approaches in microfinance. Bankers, people from other formal financial institutions and MFIs wishing to link with VSLAS, SHGS or SACCOs, regulators and government officials responsible for financial inclusion, trainers, and donors promoting community-based approaches may find this program useful. Applicants should have 2 years’ work experience in microfinance or in the field of economic development.
Applications are to be done online by 1 August 2018 for the course conducted in Ethiopia and by 15 September 2018 for the Hyderabad program.