Type of Funding
LGT Venture Philanthropy (LGT VP) is inviting applications for its LGT Impact Fellowship program, which matches experienced professionals with temporary positions at leading social business around the world, which usually are for-profit/non-profit organizations in developing and emerging countries with significant social or environmental impact. Fellows apply their professional skills working 1 year full-time in the field with the management teams of innovative social businesses. They create positive impact by building capacity, transferring know-how and training local staff. The next Fellowship intake is July 2018.
There are 2 types of fellowships:
- Impact Fellowship – working with for-profit or non-profit portfolio organizations from LGT Impact’s and LGT VP’s portfolios with significant social or environmental impact and ambitious targets to grow;
- Investment Associate Fellowship – working with LGT Impact Ventures’ regional investment teams to support their ongoing portfolio management activities; and
- Venture Philanthropy (VP) Associate Fellowship: Fellows work with LGT VP’s regional management teams to support a broad range of VP engagements and activities.
Fellows could be placed in any of the following countries: Africa, India, the Philippines, China, Brazil and the United Kingdom.
Fellows strengthen the capacity of social businesses by:
- Sharing their professional experience
- improving, establishing or implementing systems, processes and tools that are transferable to permanent staff
- Implementing corporate practices and
- Training and coaching local teams
Fellows are employed by their host companies based on a formal temporary volunteering or working contract that is in line with local HR and employment policies. Fellows receive a monthly living stipend which covers the on-site living expenses of housing, food, regular transport and communication and petty cash. If the host organization provides some aspect of the aforementioned expenses, like housing, the stipend will be accordingly reduced. Business expenses are not covered under the stipend and have to be agreed separately with the host organization. Besides the living stipend, health insurance coverage, 1 economy return flight to the fellowship destination and visa costs are provided. All other financial obligations have to be borne by the Fellows themselves.
To prepare Impact Fellows for their engagement, a 5-day orientation workshop will be held in Switzerland.
Towards the end of the fellowship year, LGT VP will we actively assist fellows in planning and locating their next career move by tapping into LGT VP’s relevant networks. Fellows will experience both professional and personal growth as they differentiate themselves from others by being more aware of problems and opportunities in developing/emerging countries. They also get to gain a unique experience abroad, by making a new country their temporary home.
Applicants can be of any nationality, but must hold an undergraduate degree, and have a minimum of 2 years of relevant full-time work experience after graduation. Those with an MBA or other advanced degree in a relevant field are preferred. Proficiency in English is required, with proficiency in other languages an advantage.
Functional expertise in the following areas is sought: Finance and Accounting; Investment Management; Business Consulting; Marketing and Communications; Operations Management; Project Management; Data Analytics; IT and Data Management; Engineering; Research and M&E; Human Resources; Product Development; Sales and Customer Acquisition; Process and Quality Management; and/or Legal.
LGT VP is looking for applicants who:
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong research and analytical skills
- Are self-starters, willing to work idependently with limited supervision and take responsibility for own actions
- Are strongly committed to making a difference and prepared to make financial and personal sacrifices
- Understand challenges and trends in low to middle-income country development
- Are willing to live and work abroad and engage with other cultures with a positive attitude and sensitivity and
- Are flexible, open-minded and able to deal with ambiguity, unforeseeable events and a changing environment.
There are 2 intakes per year – in January and July. Application for each intake must be done 5 months prior to the starting date. Application deadline for coming Fellowship Program for July 2018 is 31 March 2018.