Ongoing, 8 weeks before event commencement
Type of Funding
Global Fund for Women provides 3 types of grants:
- General support grants: to be used to fund an organization’s projects and programs as well as operating and program expenses, such as rent, salaries, communications, and travel costs.
- Travel and event organizing grants: given to organizations led by women, girls, and trans people to attend national, regional, and international gatherings and events with the purpose of strengthening women’s rights movements, influencing decisions, and mobilizing resources.
- Crisis grants: given to women’s rights groups to use in responding to the following crisis situations: climate and natural disasters; public health crises; or sudden and drastic increases in political violence.
Through 2020, preference will be given to women-led groups outside the US that advance the human rights of women and girls, working in the following key priority areas:
- Reproductive Justice and Sexual Rights
- Freedom from Violence
- Economic Justice
- Leadership Development
- Media and Technology
- Women’s Funds
Applicants must be based in a country outside the United States, with a primary focus on advancing women’s equality and human rights. Groups whose sole purpose is to generate income or to provide charity to individuals are not eligible.
Applicants have to be a group of women, girls, or trans people working together. Individual applications are not accepted. The group has to be
governed, directed, and led by women, girls, or trans people, i.e., they must fill all or most of the leadership roles throughout the various decision-making levels of the group (including but not limited to the most senior decision-making levels). They do not need to be registered NGOs.
To be considered for a travel or event grant:
- An organization must have received a grant from the Global Fund for Women within the past 5 years.
- The proposal must be submitted at least 8 weeks before the start date of the event or travel.
- An organization may only have 1 travel or event proposal open or under consideration at a given time.
- The organization must have an active Organizational Profile.
Only organizations that have been invited to apply may submit a proposal for general support funding; those who wish to be considered for general support funding in the future can register their organization on the Official Website.
Groups must be invited by Global Fund for Women to submit a crisis grant application; and only groups that have previously received a grant from Global Fund for Women will be invited to submit a crisis grant proposal.
Global Fund for Women does not fund:
- Government entities
- International organizations proposing projects with local partners
- Political parties or election campaigns, and
- Women’s branches/departments/projects of mixed gender organizations.
However, women-focused projects within mixed-gender organizations may occasionally receive support from Global Fund for Women if they work with particularly marginalized groups: for example, women within groups of people with disabilities or women within LGBTQI organizations.
Applications can be done online and will be considered on an ongoing basis. Applications for travel or event grants must be submitted at least 8 weeks before the start date of the event.